318 West Middle Street Gettysburg, PA 17325
(717) 334-9296 or 800-548-3240
inquiry@acofa.org

Community Services

community1

Senior Centers

Adams County Office for Aging, Inc. supports seven senior centers located throughout Adams County. The senior centers offer people age 60 and over a place to go for nutritious meals, social activities, and a range of programs such as health screenings, health and consumer education, creative arts, exercise, and other special events which are unique to individual centers.

Center programming includes exercise sessions, cards and games, speakers, monthly blood pressure checks, nutrition education, occasional trips, craft and holiday activities. Each center is staffed with a friendly Site Manager who takes care of the programming for each center as well as the day to day operations. The senior centers often work with a variety of local organizations, and provide access to other community services as well. Centers also offer volunteer opportunities where older people can contribute their experience and skills in meaningful and satisfying ways.

Anyone age 60 and over is welcome to attend a senior center at any time, however, those who wish to eat a meal must register with the particular center at least two days in advance. New participants are always welcome to join. Contributions are to help support the centers, but they are not required. In some cases, special classes or activities may be arranged at the senior center. Such special classes may have a fee, but they are in addition to the activities provided through the regular operation of the center and are voluntary. People attending the centers may attend as frequently or as infrequently as they want. There is no minimum attendance requirement for senior centers.Halloween 2015

TransportationMcSh 2

Transportation for people age 65 and over is provided by the Rabbittransit System through a contract with the Adams County Office for Aging, Inc. (ACOFA). ACOFA will pay to provide transportation to Senior Centers (age 60+), Adult Day Care Programs, grocery shopping trips, doctor and other medically related appointments (such as physical therapy), pharmacies and banks. These trips are considered to be “necessary” trips and are provided at no charge to the rider.  For these “necessary trips”, the PA Lottery pays Rabbittransit 85% of the cost of the ride and ACOFA pays the other 15%.

Trips to other locations – for example, hair appointments, shopping trips, visiting friends and family – will be provided for a fee. The cost of the trip will vary depending on where the person would like to go. The Lottery will still pay 85% of the cost, and the rider will need to pay the remaining 15%. Riders will pay the driver for each one way trip and will need to have exact change. When a reservation is made, the Rabbit dispatcher will be able to tell the rider how much their trip will cost.

To arrange transportation to a Senior Center, people should call the Center Manager by 11 AM the day before they would like to go to the center. For all other trips, riders must call Rabbit by 11 AM of the day before the trip to make a reservation.  If the same person makes the same trip each day or multiple times each week, it is possible to make a “standing reservation” so that a daily call isn’t needed.  Please ask the Rabbittransit staff for help with this type of reservation.

Those wishing to use Rabbittransit services need to register to ride by filling out an application form and showing proof of their age. Registration forms can be obtained by contacting Rabbit, ACOFA, or any one of the seven Senior Centers.  Forms may also be printed from the Rabbittransit website at rabbittransit.org

Please note that Rabbittransit provides shared ride, curb-to-curb service. Riders must be able to walk or move out to the van on their own. Drivers will help people get in and out of the vans. Wheelchair accessible vans are available. An escort may go with the rider, and in that case, an escort form should be filled out when the registration form is completed. Because the service is shared ride, people may need to be dropped off and picked up during the course of a trip.

Except for special group or senior center trips, service is provided between 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM. Monday through Friday. For more information, contact Rabbittrasit at 1-800-632-9063, or ACOFA at (717)334-9296 or 1-800-548-3240.

community2

Tax Assistance Program

Tax Aide Volunteers provide Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) to older citizens of Adams County. The tax assistance program is in cooperation with the IRS and the Adams County Office for Aging, Inc. (ACOFA). This free service can address tax issues for most middle to low-income taxpayers age 60 and over.

Beginning in February through April 15 of each year, TCE counselors trained on Federal, State, and Local returns are available every Tuesday and Wednesday at the ACOFA office, located at 318 W. Middle Street, Gettysburg. For further information please call ACOFA at 717-334-9296 or 800-548-3240.

Persons who need tax assistance should bring copies of their prior year tax returns along with any current tax booklets/ forms, w-2’s, 1099’s, Social Security earnings statement, property tax or rent rebate receipts and other relevant documents.

APPRISE – Medicare Counseling Program

The Health Insurance Counseling Program, known as APPRISE, provides free one-on-one or telephone assistance to older persons to help them understand Medicare eligibility and benefits, Medicare supplemental insurance, and prescription drug coverage. The counselors can explain your rights under Medicare, including your right to appeal. Trained volunteers and staff help people fill out claim and application forms for programs including Medicare, Medicaid, Supplemental Insurance, PACE and other prescription programs.

Volunteers provide counseling to help clients choose a supplemental or Medicare Advantage plan and can explain the various low income and prescription drug assistance programs and help to determine eligibility.

APPRISE counselors are available, by appointment only, on Monday and Thursday mornings at the ACOFA office. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Adams County Office for Aging, Inc. at 717-334-9296, or 800-548-3240.

Legal Service

Limited legal services are provided to individuals who are low income and unable to afford legal fees on their own. Eligibility for the service through the Adams County Office for Aging, Inc. is based on income guidelines. Examples of the legal services provided include preparation of wills, powers of attorney and living wills.

All Pennsylvania residents 60 years of age and older can also receive free legal advice from the Senior LAW Helpline located within the SeniorLAW Center in Philadelphia. Currently, services are limited to telephone advice, information, and referrals. Helpline attorneys will advise callers on any civil legal matter to the extent they are able. No briefs are performed. Legal Helpline clients needing representation are referred to local legal services, Title IIIB or the Bar.

The SeniorLAW Helpline is available Monday to Friday from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. An attorney will answer the phone if they are not on another call and messages can be left during call hours. Callers cannot leave messages during other hours and will be instructed to call back during Helpline hours.